University Weighs Opening Grad School of World Law

By Frank B. Gilbert

A far-reaching graduate program in world law may be established at the University, when sufficient funds are available. The Law faculty has already given approval to the project which would bring many foreign students to the University and would, in effect, be a world school of law.

The total cost of a world school might run to millions of dollars if an adequate sum for endowment were included. Law School alumni have given about $1,400,000 to a current fund drive, but school officials would not expect them to provide the money for the world law program.

Professor David F. Cavers, chairman of the Committee on International Legal Studies, reported yesterday that a proposed pilot program for about 25 students may be brought before the Law faculty this winter.

Pilot Program

Such a program would mostly make use of facilities already at the Law School, and its major cost would be the bringing of students from abroad.

A full program in world law would have three main targets, Cavers said. First it would deal with problems of world organization.

"These would include the continuing problems of international law and the new questions of world constitutional and administrative law," Cavers explained.

"A second goal would be the study of legal problems of world social and economic development. Questions raised by efforts to insure world-wide protection for basic human rights would be among