Major League Baseball

The New York Yankees won their seventeenth American League pennant--and their second straight for Manager Casey Stengel--yesterday in the lobby of the Hotel Kenmore. While the Yanks were enjoying an off day in Boston, the Cleveland Indians eliminated the Detroit Tigers from the pennant race with a 12 to 2 victory at Briggs Field.

Cloveland pitcher Bob Lemon gave the Tigers six scattered hits in posting his twenty-third win. Meanwhile, the Indians blasted four Detroit hurlers for 15 hits, including homers by Jim Hegan and Dale Mitchell. Jerry Priddy homered for the losers. Tod Gray was the losing pitcher.

Meyer Sings Photographer

In the National League, Brooklyn came from behind in both games of a doubleheader to defeat Boston, 7 to 5 and 7 to 6, and kept its pennant hopes alive. The Dedgers can now tie for the gonfalon by defeating Philadelphia today and tomorrow at Brooklyn in the final two games of the season.

Five unearned runs in the eighth inning gave Brooklyn the decision in the first game. The Braves took a 4 to 1 lead in the nightcap, but homers by Roy Campanella and Jackie Robinson and a key double by Campanella provided the margin of victory. Carl Erskine was the winner, Vern Bickford the loser.

During Brooklyn's first-game rally, Russ Meyer, Philly pitcher who was watching the game with a number of teammates from a box near the Boston dugout, became annoyed when a photographer insisted on taking his picture. Meyer first warned the camera man, then when another bulb went off he get in two blows before a spectator pulled him off.

Either Meyer, Bubba Church, or Bob Miller will face Don Newcombe today. Should Brooklyn win both games, the two teams will meet in a best-of-three playoff beginning Monday.

In other games yesterday, the Cardinals defeated the Cubs, 5 to 1, behind Alpha Brazle, and the Red Sox downed the Senators, 7 to 6.