Quintet Beats Northeastern 65-54, After 3 Road Losses

The basketball team won its fourth game of the year las night in the almost empty Indoor Athletic Building, beating Northeastern, 65 to 54. A scoring splurge in the last five minutes of the game pulled the Crimson away from a fast-breaking Husky team which put up a strong fight.

The teams were even for the first half of the opening period, but after Captain Ed Smith went into the game the Crimson started to control the backboards and move the ball. Smith, playing for the first time in three weeks, scored a quick nine points before the half ended with his team ahead, 29 to 27.

Both teams improved their play in the last period, but Urban Landini's set shooting was the main factor in keeping Northeastern a contender. With the game tied 45-all, John Stevenson hit in three straight push shots to give the Crimson a lead it kept for a remaining five minutes of the game. Dick Lionettc, who had scored eight of the Crimson's first ten points, also shot well in the deciding minutes of the game.

Frank Jackson was high scorer for the visitors with 16 points, and Landini was next with 11.

Both teams played sloppy ball throughout. The players seemed a little rough in all departments, often letting easy passed get by them. A great many fouls were called, four Crimson players fouled out, but Northeastern made less than half of its free throw tries. HARVARD (65) fg  f  p Hickey, g  2  6  10 Gabler, f  2  2  6 Bramhall, f  1  0  2 Smith (C)  4  5  13 Switzer  0  0  0 Lionette, c  7  1  15 Lemay  0  2  2 Murphy, g  1  0  8 Stevenson  4  0  8 Urdan  0  0  0 Hansen  2  3  7   23  19  65