Subway, Highway Extension Backed By City Planners

Extension of the subway to North Cambridge, more rigid police enforcement of existing parking regulations, and a parking study by the University were among the recommendations for alleviating the parking problem proposed by the Cambridge Planning Board's Harvard Square Parking Study, released yesterday.

Besides noting that the long-term parker is the major cause of congestion around the Square, the survey also indicated that greater off-street parking facilities are necessary. A garage at the present site of the MTA Yards is suggested as another partial solution.

The report also recommends extension of the Concord Turnpike to Lechmere Square to divert many of the 36,000 cars and 6,000 trucks passing the Square daily. Such rerouting, the survey states, "would enhance the safety and attractiveness of the Square as a shopping center."

There is no immediate solution to the parking problem, the study emphasizes. Greater police enforcement, especially in no-parking zones, truck-loading agreements among local business men, and widespread dissemination of parking information were cited as steps which could partially alleviate the situation immediately.