Chicago Men Protest Dean's News Squelch

By George J. W. goodman

University of Chicago students demonstrated last night against the university's suspension of the Maroon, the undergraduate newspaper.

Maroon editors organized the rally in support of Alan D. Kimmel, deposed editor-in-chief, who was bounced by Dean of Students Robert M. Strozier because he participated in the Communist World Youth Rally in East Berlin last August. The undergraduate editors demanded the support of the student body in their final issue.

Strozier, in a letter to Kimmel, said that Kimmel's action in sponsoring and attending the Youth Festival "demonstrates ... lack of qualification to edit a free and independent newspaper." A Maroon editor declared last night that Strozier favored "starting all over," with a completely new student newspaper and a different staff.

According to student spokesmen, the action of the Dean is in direct contradiction to Chicago's "student bill of rights," which guarantees "freedom from censorship or other pressure aimed at controlling editorial policy, with the free selection and removal of editorial staffs reserved to the organization."

Last night Strozier told the CRIMSON that Kimmel had claimed to represent the Maroon and the University of Chicago at the Youth Festival without the consent of either the Dean's Office or the Maroon. Kimmel "did not reflect credit on the university," Strozier continued. He pointed out that Kimmel had failed to re-register in the university this fall.

Kimmel, a graduate student in geography went on a guided tour of Poland and the Soviet Union after the Youth Festival. He is expected to return to the Chicago campus at the end of the week.

The executive board of the student government has issued a statement favoring the deposed editor. General student opinion is still unknown.

Though Maroon editors wired the CRIMSON asking support in their battle, none has been given.