Chicago Maroon Gives In To Dean, Still to Publish

By George J. W. goodman

"The Chicago Maroon" will continue to publish, but it will be a different Maroon, its editors told the CRIMSON last night. "We've feeped," they said. "We've surrendered to Old Man Strozier."

The Maroon board voted 10-10 yesterday to publish illegally, outside the jurisdiction of the university. Under the Maroon constitution, such a vote constitutes defeat for the proposal.

Alan D. Kimmel, deposed editor-in-chief and cause of the paper's suspension, still has not returned to the Chicago campus. When last heard from, on September 18, he was in Warsaw and "heading east," according to a Maroon editor. Dean of Students Robert M. Strozier fired Kimmel for his participation in the Communist World Youth Rally last August, calling him "unfit . . . to edit a free and independent newspaper."

Last night the student government recommended that the Maroon declare the position of editor-in-chief vacant, and elect a new editor. It proposed that the new staff be submitted to Strozier, and that under these circumstances, it would uphold the Maroon's right to publish. Maroon editors agreed, and the proposal will be submitted to Strozier this morning.

"Free and Independent . . .

A rally to support the Maroon attracted 800 people Tuesday evening. At the rally, Maroon editors collected $200 to support "a free and independent newspaper." Strozier told a student committee yesterday his stand would remain firm under any circumstances.

Sentiment of the student body at Chicago is "overwhelmingly against us," a Maroon editor declared. He deplored the "victory . . . of fascistic tendencies."

The vote to capitulate, the editor continued, "started as a mild compromise and snowballed into complete surrender. Strozier now has everything he wants."