Cross Country Team, J.V. Eleven Open Seasons on Columbus Day

For the first time in a good many years, the varsity cross country team will begin a season without Jaakko Mikkola. The likeable coach will have to hear about the varsity's performance against Holy Cross, Boston College, and Rhode Island State tomorrow by way of acting head coach Bill McCurdy.

Mikkola is recovering from an emergency abdominal operation, but should be back in time for the Yale meet. McCurdy will handle the coaching job until Mikkola's return.

Not much is known about the harriers' opponents. The race will be the opener for all four of the teams. On the basis of last Friday's time trials, however, the Crimson appears strong and will be slight favorites.

The freshmen, reportedly one of the strongest groups to represent Harvard in several years, will also open their season at White Stadium tomorrow.

The first twelve finishes in the varsity and freshman time trial have been entered in the meet, while several extra run-may be entered for experience.

The junior varsity football team will travel tomorrow to Dudley, Mass. to do combat with a Nichols Junior College eleven about which little is known. Jayvee coach Norm Shepard expects Nichols to use the T formation, the same offensive set-up that the Crimson will employ.

Sophomore Bob Gremp will start at quarterback for the jayvees. Gremp, whom Shepard describes as "a right fair T quarterback," has been hampered by afternoon labs and lack of spring practice, but he shows great possibilities as a passer.

Ronnie Noonan will be the offensive fullback for the Crimson, while Howie Finney and Ronnie Messer will be the halfbacks.

The ends will be Lou Nichols and Pete Brooke. Either John Semmelmeyer and Leo McGrath on Sid Kane and Stan Miller will be the tackles. Hugh Chandler and Tony Caimi will open at the guards, and chuck Cook will serve as offensive center. Coach Shepard also expects to use backs Dick Scheer and Buddy Linn frequently during the game.