Dunster Upsets Eliot, 12-6 In Opener; Winthrop Wins

In what may be the upset of the year, an underdog Dunster eleven yesterday scored a 12 to 6 win over an Eliot House team which had gone undefeated for the past two years. In the second game of the day Winthrop romped over a weak Adams team, 26 to 0, Kirkland will meet Dudley and Lowell will come up against the Leverett Bunnies in today's contests.

Sparked by a passing attack from Jack Drophy to Jerry Murphy which set up both Funster scores, one of the biggest Dunster House teams in size and number seen in years handed last year's championship Elephants its first defeat in 17 starts. After holding off Eliot in a thrilling goal-line stand at the three yard line in the closing minutes of the first half, the Funsters came back in the third period to score from the two yard line on an end run by Bob Smith. On the first play at scrimmage after the kick. Herb Greenberg. Eliot back, broke away on a run around the left end for a 70-yard touchdown gallop tying the score. The point after touchdown was blocked. The second and Dunster TD came on a three yard plunge off tackle by Lou Tsavaris.

Adams showed a slow, uncoordinated backfield which was completely faked out by Winthrop's T-formation in its opener against the Puritans. Winthrop scored its four touchdowns all in the first half, apparently at will. The first came in the opening period on a run by Bill Hickey around right end for 35 yards. The next three scores came all in the second period, on passes from Walt Greeley to Hickey and Bob Switzer and a fullback slant off tackle for 30 yards by, Dave Cudhea.