Council Maps Fall Plans; GE Poll Effective

The problem of "reducing the educational timespan" has top priority among the Council's fall projects, Richard M. Sandler '52, president of the Student Council, announced last night. Sandler cited the demands of the Army and Graduate Schools as necessitating a move like a three-year college program.

Extra-curricular activities, the Seven Year Law Program, and the system of tutorial for credit will also be considered. The last project revolves around the problem of some departments allowing thesis work to count for credit, while others require the equivalent of full course work.

Other Problems Probed

If men are available, the Council will also probe into Student Finance, College Admissions, and the Student Porter Plan. Such Council projects may have to be curtailed unless more men volunteer to help Sandler said.

Since the Council is also doing studies of General Education, the Medical Center, and the integration of Commuters into college life, Sandler said it suffers from a "terrific shortage of manpower."

In connection with the GE project, Robert H. Cole '52 sent out 675 question-raires to determine upperclass reactions to General Education last week; 350 have been returned so far. Cole and his committee will issue a report on the effectiveness of GE the first week in December.

Best Dyer's Seen

Henry S. Dyer, Director of the Office of Tests, described the 45-question polls as "the best I ever saw on this subject." Cole pointed out at the same time that "there haven't been many polls like it."

Questionnaires were sent to every fifth upperclassman. The starting number was chosen by opening a book at random, using the last digit of the page number to determine the polling.