H.A.A. Drops Holy Cross In '52 Schedule

Crusaders' Fall Slate Fails to List Eleven for '52 Season; Bolles Declines to Comment

Harvard's football schedule for next year was made considerably easier yesterday when it was learned that the Crimson had dropped Holy Cross from its 1952 schedule. When, if ever, the rivalry will be renewed is unknown.

Harvard was not listed on the 1952 Crusader schedule which has just been released. Director of Athletics Tom Bolles declined last night to state whether the change was in accordance with any new and set "easing off" policy handed down by the administration to the Athletic Association. "The schedule for 1952 was prepared when Mr. Bingham was in office," he said. Bingham was unavailable for comment.

No Substitute Named

A year ago, however the CRIMSON learned that Army and Cornell would be dropped from the 1952 schedule and that Colgate and Washington University of St. Louis added. No substitute for Holy Cross has as yet been named.

This marks the fourth time the rivalry between Holy Cross and Harvard has been broken off since the two teams first met in 1904. In the series to date, Harvard has won 17 games, lost eight, and tied one. Since the coming of Dr. Eddie Anderson two years ago, however, Holy Cross's football fortunes have taken a sharp turn upwards. The Crusader teams of the past two years have clearly out-classed the Crimson, and with a strong group of sophomores and freshmen, the Purple appears to be back in the big leagues for good.

In the last Harvard-Holy Cross game, the Crusaders won easily, 33 to 7. The only thing that kept the score reasonable was the liberal use of reserves by the Crusaders' Coach Anderson, seven Holy Cross fumbles, and 124 yards in penalties in favor of the Crimson.

Although the Harvard team stiffened its opposition towards the end, it was obviously outmatched.