THE SPORTING SCENE

Sixty Minutes Over Michie Field

By Edward J. Coughlin

Coach Ede Marion's fencing team lost its opening match of the season here Saturday, 18 to 9, to a strong Army squad. The Cadets took the foil and the sabre, 7 to 2 and 8 to 1 respectively, but the Crimson rallied to pull out the epee match, 6 to 3.

Following the varsity match, Bradford-Durfee Technical Institute nosed out the fishermen, 15 to 12. Bradford-Durfee took foil, sabre, and epee matches, all by scores of 5 to 4.

Harvard will own one half of a brother-sister team in the world figure skating championships to be held soon in Oslo, Norway. Hugh Graham '55 will again team with his sister Margaret. The due placed second in the United States and third in the North American pair figure skating championships last winter.

Graham, who has been skating for about 11 years, decided only last year to combine with his sister in the world championship.

Track fans are still hoping to see Josy Barthel break the indoor mile record set by Gill Dodds. In his last three assaults on it, his best showing has been a 4:07.5 clocking in Saturday's Millirose Games at Madison Square Garden.

Prior to this, Barthel, who has been working out in Briggs Cage, romped to victories in the K. of C. and the B.A.A. Meets. His winning times of 4:10.3 and 4:07.7 broke the existing records for these two meets.

Barthol, the Olympic 1500-meter champion from Luxembourg, is a student in the School of Public Health. He will have another chance tonight in the New England A.A.U. Meet in Providence R.I.

Coach Bruice Munro was reelected president of the New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse League, at its annual meeting at the Varsity Club Sunday. The coaches presented Tufts College the Briggs Trophy as the New England collegiate champions for 1953.

Barring poor weather or other unforeseen events, the varsity football team will fly to Ithaca for its game with Cornell next fall. This would be only the second time that the varsity has been airborne; it flew to Palo Alto, Callf., in 1949 to meet Stanford.

According to Carroll F. Getchell, business manager in the Department of Athletics, who is in charge of transportation for athletic teams, flying would be faster and not much more expensive than the usual train ride.

United States service pistol teams continued their supremacy over Crimson squads. as the Coast Guard Academy outgunned the Pistol Club, 1344 to 1182 Saturday at the firing range. Previously, the pistol team had lost to Army.

High for the club was Captain Colin Doane '55, with a score of 264. Coast Guard's high was 373.