Combined Charities

Sometime this week a solicitor will knock on your door and hand you a pledge for the Combined Charities Drive. Don't turn him down. The committee is trying to raise more than the $20,000 contributed last year, and the need is greater than ever.

Of the nine charities represented on the list, four are directly supported by student funds. The National Scholarship Service and Fund for Negro Students, Phillips Brooks House, the Salzburg Seminar, and the World Student Service Fund, depend almost completely on money raised through colleges. The WSSF, the one notable addition to last year's drive, sends its funds to rehabilitate student centers in war-torn countries. The other causes, such as the Damon Runyon Cancer Fund and the Children's Medical Center, are well deserving of support.

This is the only time during the year that someone will approach you for a contribution. And every contributor can designate where his money will go, even to a recognized charity that isn't on the list. This year the campaign is starting early to avoid the mid-term rush, so dig down in your pocket and give generously.