McLeod Awaits Sentence Today After Conviction; Duane Guilty

James L. McLeod was yesterday found guilty of breaking into the Houses last Spring and stealing from student rooms.

The Superior Court jury took two hours to reach its verdict. McLeod will be sentenced today; so will Joseph W. Duane, who made 65 thefts in the College, pleaded guilty, and testified against his one-time accomplice.

The jury found McLeod guilty on two counts: larceny and breaking and entering in the room of John J. Back '51, and again in the room of John D. Rauh '54. It said he was not guilty on two other counts, presumably because the State did not present enough evidence.

In the case of Sack and Rauh, the stolen goods were found on McLeod's person and a pawn ticket was discovered in his handwriting. On the other two counts, the prosecution offered only the word of Duane.

In rejecting these counts, therefore, the jury hinted that it didn't believe Duane's testimony--at least not enough to convict a man.

The defense had based its case on the credibility of Duane as a witness. In its summary yesterday, it said Duane "was in deep, and he's looking for leniency. He's looking for a break.

"He found himself a way out. There's his way out--right there in the cage."

The prosecution replied that there was nothing in it for Duane. "No one in this whole world can be lenient with Mr. Duane except the Judge in this court", he said. "Certainly you don't think I got together with the judge and we agreed to be lenient."