Council President, House Chairmen Demand Extension of Parietal Rules

House Masters Hear Scheme Wednesday: Rejected Last Year

The president of the Student Council and chairmen of six House committees yesterday asked the House Masters to extend Friday and Saturday room privileges to 11 p.m.

In a letter which was mailed to all seven House directors, Richard M. Sandler '52, president of the Council, requested permission from the Masters to present formally its request at the meeting of the House Masters scheduled for Wednesday.

According to the letter, the request stems from "the ever-worsening financial situation of the Harvard student. While his desire for female companionship remains healthfully constant," Sandler wrote, "his fiscal ability to provide entertainment grows steadily worse."

Ratification Needed

Before the request can officially be brought before the House Masters, the committee's recommendations will have to pass both the Council and the full board of each House Committee. The Council meets on Monday, some of the House Committees have already met and those that haven't expect to meet before Wednesday.

In his explanation Sandler states, "After 8 p.m. a man who wishes to study or merely be with a girl can do so only in Widener, Cronin's, or in some more expensive place if he requires privacy. Many who cannot even afford these luxuries remain frustrated."

Sandler further cites Yale's 11 p.m. Saturday night rule and the later Graduate School regulations.

Three Extra Hours

"The extra three hours which we request on two nights in the week would allow a man to entertain a girl respectably without taking her into Boston, and would not jeopardize the good name of Harvard any more than does the present ruling."

A similar request, made last year, was rejected. The current campaign is the sixth since the end of the war aimed at changing the parietal rules.

An earlier effort, like this one, was based on controversy at another Ivy League college--the so-called "Sex After Six" wrangle at Princeton in 1948-49.