Eli Experts Asked Truman to Order Press Restraints

Yale University recommended the much disputed security order, President Truman revealed last night at his weekly press conference.

According to the President, Yale experts made a survey at the request of the Central Intelligence Agency and reported that 95 percent of information classified secret by the Pentagon and State Department leaked to newspapers and magazines through other departments.

In New Haven, Yale officials issued this statement: "A project was completed for the division of external research of the government. All details are confidential by order of the government, so we can't say who has participated in the project. Faculty members of several departments were concerned."

As a result of the findings, Truman permitted all civilian departments to keep "top secret" and "confidential" material from reporters. Editors have since protested that the Truman directive would result in dangerous censorship on the part of civilian agencies--often merely to cover up their own mistakes.