Student Porters' Work Checked; Most Satisfied, Excepting Maids

First inspections yesterday found student porters' work in Dunster House "well done" and the residents satisfied. Maids in the other Houses were not so happy with the affair.

Funster William Doyler '53 thinks the porters "have been doing a good job." "Mine forgets to empty my ash trays now and then," he continued, "but everything in the room is kept clean."

Several maids, who refused to give their names, think that the men should be forced to join the University Employees Representative Association, and pay dues as they do.

Maids Dismissed

A Winthrop House maid charged that the University dismissed some maids to make room for the porters. Last spring the administration had promised that no maid would be discharged for this reason.

"They can't tell me that," the Winthrop maid said. "One of my friends was dropped for those porters, and they told her so."

The subjects of these arguments, the porters, are happy with their jobs. One thought he had a "good deal." He thinks personal contact with his charges is valuable and claimed the maids "never did a very good job. I'd rather have a porter clean my room, although I'm not in this House."

Woman's Job

But Daniel G. Mulvihill, president of the H.U.E.R.A., said that "cleaning rooms is a woman's job. These kids don't know how to do it right."

Arthur D. Trottenberg, head of the program, was reserved in his opinions, but thinks things got off to a good start.

"But the honeymoon isn't over yet. The boys are just getting started," said Trottenberg. "When the adventure of the new job wears off, a good man might relax. But we have some first rate guys working now."