Annex Dorm Gets Locks; Girl States Shades Were Up

By Herbert S. Meyers

Radcliffe yesterday put new locks on the doors and windows of 20 Walker Street, responding to the charges of two girls who alleged that they were approached by a prowler in their room early Saturday morning.

Although no dormitory residents saw the prowler enter, a report from the night watchman disclosed that the back door to the dormitory was open when he made his rounds at 3 a.m. The lock on the door was weak and could be jarred loose even when the catch was on, residents said.

According to a report from the owner of a boarding house on 12 Walker Street, girls frequently left the shade up on a first floor bedroom window.

Guests Complained

"I saw them with the shades all the way up, more than once," Mrs. L. Ruth Giffen, owner of the adjacent structure, told the CRIMSON yesterday. "My guests have seen it, too, and have complained to me about it." According to Mrs. Giffen such scenes have occurred two or three times in the past two weeks.

One of the girls admitted last night that the shades had not been pulled on several occasions. When asked how many times, she replied, "I never counted, I don't recall."

Mrs. Giffen said that she had called Constance Huntington Hall, a Radcliffe trustee, Saturday morning in the belief that the raised shades may have attracted the prowlers.

Miss Hall then spoke to Dean Small, but would not disclose what recommenda- tions she made to her.

Meanwhile, at yesterday's meeting of the Annex Student Council, the group informally censured Radcliffe students for carelessness in leaving the shades up. A recommendation was passed to ask the night watchman to watch 20 Walker Street more carefully