Square Digs in for Tigers

Dino Querze has been a standard fixture behind the Wursthaus bar for five years. Dino has seen a lot of games and a lot of crowds, and Dino thinks this will be a "good game and a good day for business."

Dino doesn't "go for that rough stuff in here. Sometimes they walk through with no manners, but we put 'em right out again."

"And the crowd will be alright," said Dino, "because we will beat Army."

The "we" is because, as Dino says, "I'm a Harvard man myself. My dear old Harvard," Dino smiled. "I've walked through that Yard so any times, I know every wrinkle on John's face."

There will be a big demand for beer, Dino thinks. Highballs and scotch are more popular after exams in the Wursthaus. He doesn't agree that men with dates buy a lot cocktails.

"I expect another riot. Those Princeton boys are tougher than the home crew," said John J. Fitzgerald, Yard cop. John has been at Harvard for 21 years and spent eight of them on the force.

That riot two years ago was pretty good, but it was a lawn party compared to the end-year riot some old time Harvards threw in '32. People tossed rotten eggs, lit matches, overturned buses, and fought with the townies until two in the morning."

John said there's a slim chance that this riot will fizzle out like that Dartmouth one." The whole force of 25 men will be on duty from 7 p.m. "until things are quiet."

Gertrude Marshall has seen three Tiger invasions in her six years of lugging liquor in Cronin's. She thinks "Princeton boys are pretty wild," and expects them to be "as bad this time as they were last."

Gertrude has the whole schedule planned out. On Friday night she expects big crowds after the rallies. "This place will really be hopping." She said the boys eat a lot then, and drink mostly beer.

"On Saturday they'll be coming in at seven and there'll be no stopping until midnight. Saturday crowds guzzle mixed drinks and cocktails, and not much beer."

"Princeton boys are pretty good at this rioting stuff," Gertrude concluded, "but these Harvard boys put their oars in, too."

Carl A. Carlson has been a hack for Ambassador for three years now. He doesn't have much to say for riots and Princeton.

"If you're going to have decent football," said Carl, polishing the windshield, "there's no sense in rioting. If you lose you shouldn't be a bad loser, and if you win, you shouldn't make noise about it."

That was his terse comment on Harvard. Carl was equally brief with Princeton.

"If they can't behave any better than they did in '49, they just shouldn't come down here at all."

Carl expects to be busy though. On big week-ends he thinks men like to show their dates that they're easy with the money. The rest of the time? "They'd rather walk through the Kansas flood," said Carl.

Princetonians will probably find Jim Cronin's place the closest thing to their own Nassau tavern, on a bigger, bawdier, scale.

Jim views week-ends like this with apprehension. If the usual 2-3,000 people pass in and out of his place, it means broken glasses, waitresses threatening to quit, singing, fighting, and dancing in the aisles. If they don't, it means an empty till.

But the crowds will come. Jim said that "Princeton has calmed down quite a bit since two years ago. I was talking to four Princetonians the other day who said that they've lost all their spirit.

This is a Radcliffe girl. As to whether she's typical or not, every man should decide for himself.

She is in the process of preparing for the Big Weekend. On football week-ends, the halls of the Annex are quiet and foreboding. With a rough one to five ratio, a 'Cliffedweller can pick her pet from the pile.

But this lass has sold out to the enemy. She will grace the arm of an orange and black sweater today.

"These Harvard men are all right for in between times," said the toweled temptress, "but on week-ends a girl likes to have some fun."

For this attitude, she has been scorned by her housemates. Harvard loyalty is probably greater at 'Cliffe than at Harvard.

"The trouble with you girls," she maintains, "is that you've never lived -- tiger style."