Tiger Varsity Average Students Fifty Percent Hold Scholarships

Despite various opinions to the contrary, the Princeton football team is an average group of students. They are neither a crew of paid ringers, nor are they a team of extra-ordinary scholar-athletes.

From 37 upper class members of last year's team (no marks have yet come out for this year) three were in the first fifth of their class, 12 in the second fifth, six in the third fifth, seven in the fourth fifth, and nine in the lowest fifth.

R. Kenneth Fairman, Princeton Director of Athletics, commented, "Were a little short of Phi Beta Kappas this year, but in the past three or four years the football squad was a little above the college average." The 1954 freshman squad was a little below average with three in the first fifth, five in both the second and third fifths, eight in the fourth fifth, and nine in the last fifth. Of these last nine at least three flunked out.

Ninety-three men came out for the varsity and J.V. football squads in 1950, and a ratio of one out of two members of the college take part in some sport in which they play outside teams. Of course, Princeton does not have the advanced House Athletic system of Harvard.

Fifty-one percent of the Tiger varsity squad of 45 have no scholarship aid at all, and seven percent have scholarships of under $300, or "minor" scholarships. Forty-two percent, or 19, receive "major" scholarships. The average "major" stipend for the varsity is $660, for the Jayvees, $670, and for the freshmen, $700.