Winthrop Defeats Elephants, 7-6; Lowell Squeaks by Dunster, 14-13

Winthrop and Lowell scored thrilling one-point victories over Eliot and Dunster in House football contests yesterday. The Puritans edged the Elephants, 7 to 6, strengthening the league lead, while the Bellboys squeezed past Dunster, 14 to 13, on a touchdown in the last minute of play.

Winthrop Game

Winthrop remains undefeated, boasting a record of five wins, no defeats, and one tie, but the loss sank the Elephants into a fifth-place tie with Kirkland.

A 15-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Walt Greeley to fullback Norm Hall accounted for the Winthrop score. The same combination, Greeley to Hall, netted the all-important extra point.

Eliot countered with a score late in the third period, when quarterback Charlie Cabot connected with a 20-yard touchdown serial to end Sumner White, but the attempt for the extra point failed as the Puritan line blocked an Elephant kick.

Dunster Topped

The margin of victory in the Lowell-Dunster game was also an extra point. Bob Smith scored both of Dunster's touchdowns, one on a 90-yard punt return, and the other on a 6-yard buck.

After an 80-yard runback of a pass interception in the second period by Ted Briggs, Bucky Khan plunged three yards for Lowell's first score. Bob Lown swept around end for the extra point. With less than a minute to play, the Bellboys, trailing by 13 to 7, scored as Khan circled end on a 30-yard sweep for his second touchdown. Bruce White bucked through the middle for the game clinching extra point.

Winthrop topped Eliot, 26 to 24, in a House Touch Football League game. In freshman touch competition, Straus North blanked Weld South, 6 to 0, while Wigglesworth East topped Matthews North, 19 to 14, in American League contests. In the National League Lionel defeated Weld North, 18 to 12.