Open U Defeats Closed C, 19-13, in First House All-Star Football Game

2000 Watch First Annual House Tilt

A holiday spirited crowd of 2,000 turned out yesterday for the first annual Open-Closed classic, which Open won, 19 to 13, in the Stadium. Plans are now being made to set up the game as a yearly Armistice Day event.

Notables on hand for the colorful contest included Athletic Director Thomas D. Bolles, Dean Bender, former football captain Phil Isenberg, and Coach Lloyd Jordan. At halftime, CRIMSON President William M. Simmons presented a trophy to former Athletic Director William J. Bingham 'IG.

Open, composed of all-star players from Kirkland, Dudley, Dunster and Winthrop, took an early lead. When Closed was unable to move the ball and tired to pant from its own 20-yard line, Open end Gerry Dorman from Winthrop broke through, blocked the kick, scooped up the loose ball and ran it over to score. The pass for the extra point was not successful.

The green-clad warriors from Adams, Eliot, Leverett, and Lowell came from the Hutch ran the ball to the Open 40, the Hutch ran the ball to the Open 40, and on the next play passed to Bellboy halfback Ted Briggs who carried the ball to the Open 4-yard line. Charlie Cabot of Eliot swept right end for the touch down, and Bob Lown's kick made the score 7 to 6 in favor of of Closed.

Three plays later at 8:50 of the first period. Open surged back into the lead Halfback Charlie Collins from Dudley took a hand-off from quarterback Walt Greeley and broke off tackle for a 65-yard touchdown run. Art Levy of Kirkland kicked the extra point.

Dide Hype's Blue team threatened to make a rout of the game when it scored again at 4:10 of the second quarter. A pass from Greeley to Collins put the ball on the Closed 20-yard line Dunster fullback Lou Tsavaris went through the line to the 9, and Jim Wykoff of Winthrop drove over for the score. Halftime score was 19 to 7 in favor of Open.

Right at the start of the half Closed, sparked by Lown's excellent running and passing, drove to the Open 20-yard line, but failed to score.

The Green of Closed was not to be denied. After a poor kick by Greeley put Closed on the Open 29, Lown bootlegged the ball to the 17. With Lown, Bruce White of Lowell, and Briggs carrying, the ball was advanced to the 2. From there White plunged over. The kick was blocked, and the score was 19 to 13 in favor of Open.

The rest of the game was dominated by the defensive lines of the two teams. Outstanding defensive players for Open were Deke DeCoen, Ed Cohen, Joe Broido, and safety man Norman Hall. The Closed defensive platoon, which held Open scoreless in the last half, was led by Lowell Sachnoff, Bob Wiley, Tom Vickery, and Sam Paschal.

Lown took offensive honors for the day, although pressed by his Open counterpart, Greeley. In addition to those who figured in the scoring. Mark Noble of Open and Henry Greenberg of Closed were outstanding runners