City Will Act On Survey of Night Parking

Cambridge's survey of city streets which may be opened to all-night parking will definitely come before the City Council for action within the next two weeks, Mayor Edward A. Crane '35 said last night.

The city traffic board may go into an extra session next week to pass the report on to the Council as soon as possible. The Council ordered the board to make the survey five weeks ago, but until yesterday there had been no definite promise of its completion.

May Allow Parking

The survey itself will include measurements of curb distances of streets under 40 feet in width, as well as areas around city-owned parks and commons. If the traffic board makes a favorable report on these locations the Council may take it under advisement and pass an ordinance to allow all-night parking on one side of these streets.

Edgar Davis, the city engineer, is making the survey with the cooperation of the police department. Davis yesterday would give no idea when he expected to finish his work, though his secretary had earlier stated that the report had been completed since November 6.

"No Care at All"

Davis also said recently, "Some University students have no business having cars at all. Other eastern colleges don't allow freshmen or even sophomores to keep automobiles at schools."

Councillor Edward J. Sullivan, who originated the resolution in Council to request the survey, could not be reached last night for comment. He earlier had expressed hopes that the survey could be finished much sooner than now seems likely.