Bulldogs Edge '55 Soccer Team 4-3

NEW HAVEN, Nov. 23--With a goal by Charlie Weems in the last two seconds of the first overtime, Yale tripped the Yardling soccer team, 4 to 3, in a rough game here today.

Johnny Howson deflected a ball of Steve Szataz to start the scoring at 1:45 of the opening period. Bill Cowperthwaite headed is a bouncing ball for the visitors with 45 seconds to play in the first half.

Yale scored to start the third stanza, but Crimson Captain Mauricio Toro sank a long shot and Johnny Youmans tallied on a scramble to put the Yardlings ahead, 3 to 2. However, Eli captain Whit McQuarrie clinched season scoring honors by sinking a direct free-kick to tie the game at 10:15 of the last quarter.

Weems' overtime goal put the Yard-down with a three win, four loss record, and gave Yale a four win, three loss season. Outstanding for the visitors were fullbacks Alex Haegler and Charlie Welse and halfback Ruskin McIntosh, while McQuarrie and goalie Rudd Barrett starred for Yale.

Crimson Coach Andrew "Poley" Guydes said the team played "very hard, aggressive ball" and predicted that at least four men would play varsity ball next fall.