Only Eliot, Winthrop Stave Off Elis

NEW HAVEN, Nov. 23.--A superior defensive line netted Calhoun College the Harvard Yale intramural football championship today as the Senators turned back Leverett House, 14 to 0.

Eliot and Winthrop Houses salvaged Crimson honor on Walter Camp Field as six of the eight Harvard House teams went down to defeat in a drizzling rain. Lowell came close, but lost a heart-breaking one point decision.

Its victory over Leverett allowed Calhoun to complete its seven-game schedule unbeaten, untied, and unscored upon.

Sparked by quarterback Bucky O'Connor and ends Lowell Sachnoff and Ken Herlihy, the Bunnies, gained much midfield yardage on passes, but when they were in scoring territory, the heavier Calhoun line took charge. The longest Leverett drive, which reached the Calhoun 10-yard line in the second period, was halted as time ran out in the half.

Calhoun scored in the second and third periods, with the first marker being set up by a blocked punt. End Bill McCormick recovered O'Connor's attempted kick on the nine-yard line and on the next play, fullback Sandy Bartram went nine yards through tackle for the score John Zych kicked the extra point.

In the third period, after Tommy Thompson intercepted O'Connor's pass at midfiled, Calhoun started a drive which culminated when Bartram piled over center from one yard out for the second score. Zych converted once again.

WINTHROP 18, DAVENPORT 7

Quarterback Walt Greeley threw two touchdown passes and halfback Jim Wykoff ran 15 yards for another score as the Puritans downed Davenport, 18 to 7.

Greeley's first scoring aerial was a 30-yard heave to Frank Hernberg in the first quarter. He did it again in the second, hitting end Ken Eddy from 20 yards out. After Wykoff broke loose in the third quarter. Davenport got its lone tally when Bob O'Connel went over from the five. O'Connel converted while Greeley's three trys were no good.

ELIOT 18, JONATHAN EDWARDS 0

Eliot House held Jonathan Edwards without a first down in scoring an easy 18 to 0 victory today.

Fullback John Keane started Eliot towards victory when he went over center for eight yards in the first period. Halfback Fred Rhinelander went 15 yards to his right for the second score in the third period, while a 10-yard pass from quarterback Charlie Cabot to end Major Close netted the final marker in the last period.

PIERSON 7, LOWELL 6

End Pete Van Doren, who beat Lowell House with a 30-yard field goal in the final minute of play last year, did it again today as Pierson edged the Bellboys, 7 to 6.

Van Doren caught a pass from Jim Poindexter for the extra point which was the margin of victory. The play came after a 35-yard toss from halfback Bill Howland to end Bob Barbee gave the Slaves their score in the second period.

Lowell bounced right back when a 10-yard pass from quarterback Bob Lown to halfback Ian Cadenhead netted the Bellboys a score. Another Lown-Caden head pass for the extra point failed. Lowell's chances for victory were lost in the third period when Lown was removed from the field by ambulance after sustaining a knee injury.

TIMOTHY DWIGHT 33, DUDLEY 0

Dudley, unable to win a game in the House League all season, fared little better here today as it lost to Timothy Dwight, 33 to 0.

Only lineman Lefty Almeyer and Jack Margin stood out for the Commuters, who were badly outclassed. Halfback Bill Moore of the Prexies led his team to victory, scoring four of the five touchdowns.

BERKELEY 27, DUNSTER 0

Berkeley scored twice in the second period, once in the third, and twice more in the fourth to roll over the Dunster team, 27 to 0.

The Funsters' halfback Bob Smith was brilliant in a losing cause, but the Berkeley line held him in scoring territory. Halfback Bob Dickson led the Berkeley team with two touchdowns, one on a 35-yard pass from Dick Reid.

SAYBROOK 33, ADAMS 0

Saybrook, led by quarterback Bob Berkeley, rolled over Adams here today, 33 to 0. Berkeley ran 71 yards for one touchdown, 43 yards for another and threw a 40-yard scoring pass.

Because its ground attack was going so well, Saybrook attempted but two passes. They were both complete, however, one for a touchdown.

BRANFORD 19, KIRKLAND 6

An 88-yard touchdown sprint by half-back Joe Broido gave Kirkland an early lead, but Branford bounced back for three scores in the second half to win, 19 to 6.

Halfback Chuck Seymour starred in Branford's late surge, scoring touchdowns on runs of six and 26 yards and passing 20 yards for another. Linebacker Larry Alpert was brilliant for the Deacons in the first half, leading two successful goal-line stands.

SOCCER

Dunster's booters edged out a strong Berkeley team, 1 to 0, in the first of two House soccer games played. Leverett held Timothy Dwight's soccer team to a scoreless tie. Both games were played in a drizzling rain, on fields that became more slippery as the contests progressed.

TOUCH FOOTBALL

In touch football, Dudley's attack proved stronger than that of Berkeley as the Commuters outscored their rivals, 36 to 24, on a very slippery field