Soccer Team Faces Amherst

By James M. Storey

Crimson soccer coach Bruce Munro faces his toughest assignment of the season today when his varsity soccer team goes to Amherst to take on the Lord Jeffs at 2 p.m. But Munro is ready with a new wrinkle to bolster the team's hitherto weak attack. The innovation will have to be good though, because Amherst has a 5 and 1 record and the New England Intercollegiate Soccer League's leading scorer.

"With the possible exception of Dartmouth, Amherst is the best team yet." Munro states, "and we're playing away, which is always tougher." Ash Eames, left inside in the strong Lord Jeff middle-of-the-line, has scored ten goals in only five games. Center forward Howie Burnett has added five more, while right inside Manse Hall has four. The Lord Jeffs are in fourth place in the League, behind Dartmouth, Trinity, and Yale. Harvard is eighth.

In order to stop this formidable Purpl and White attack as well as to try to boost the Crimson's offense. Munro will use an unorthodox double-center-halfback lineup some of the time. In this formation. Bernard Florin will play a modified center forward position, while Bob Harding plays regular center half. When Harvard is on the attack, Florin will move up into the empty forward slot, but on defense he will drop back to make a second center half.

The rest of the first line will be as usual--Win Knowlton at right outside. Johnny Beer at right inside, Dana Getchell at left inside, and Berk Johnson at left outside. Larry Leonard and either Latsi Berger, Humph Doermann or Bobby Dean will fill the other two halfback slots. Bob Sobel and Charlie Ufford are fullbacks, with Captain Dick Craven goalie.