WEEKEND EVENTS

THEATRE

King Lear is brilliantly characterized by William Devlin in the title role. The Brattle Theatre's cast supports adequately. At 2:30 and 8:30 p.m.

The Rose Tattoo is a well-acted, emotional drama by Tennessee Williams. At the Colonial, 8:30 p.m.

Fancy Meeting You Again, at the Wilbur, is a very funny play written by a master craftsman, George S. Kaufman. Lots of laughs with a tricky plot. At 2:30 and 8:30 p.m.

MOVIES

The Christmas Carol presents Dickens' classic at the Beacon Hill. Alastair Sim is at his best as the "humbugging" Scrooge. Even Tiny Tim is bearable in this excellent English film.

Detective Story presents the problem of good and evil--with cops and robbers. The economy of scenery and the acting of Kirk Douglas add to a top-flight motion picture. At the Pilgrim.

All About Eve and September Affair, sandwiched in between burlesque at the Old Howard, are two excellent revivals. Bette Davis and George Sanders tell about Eve, while Joseph Cotten and Joan Fontaine act out the affair.

Life Beat, at the Kenmore, is one of Alfred Hitchcock's best. Tallulah Bankhead is characteristically emotional. Also on the twin bill Gregory Peck stars in The Keys of the Kingdom.

SPORTS

Navy vs. Harvard, basketball in the IAB at 8:20 p.m. Boston University vs. Harvard, track in the Briggs Cage at 1:30 p.m.