Crimson Fives Play At Wesleyan Tonight

By Jere Broh-kahn

Varsity basketball Coach Norm Shepard expects no recurrence tonight of the first-half fitters which have plagued his undefeated team this season. The varsity will meet a weak Wesleyan College squad at Middletown. Connecticut, after a preliminary 7 p.m. game between the Wesleyan and Crimson freshmen, in which the Yardlings will be looking for their second victory in three contests.

In winning its two games this season, the varsity both times has taken a large part of the first period to settle down and start out-scoring its opponents. Shepard can't explain this phenomenon, but he does not anticipate that it will appear again tonight.

The starting lineup in the varsity's third straight away game will be the same first five which played against Brown Saturday. Captain John Stevenson and Gerry Murphy will team at the forwards, with Dick Lionetie at center, and Bill Dennis and Ed Krinsky at the guard positions. Shepard also expects to substitute Ed Blodnick, Bill Hickey, and Ed Condon freely.

Facing them for Wesleyan will be a small, fast group of juniors--the same sort of team with which Brown lost to the Crimson last week. The tallest man on the Connecticut team is the center. Captain Dave May, at 6 feet, 3 inches.

The lone standout on the team is Bill Rack, a 6 foot tall forward. He scored 21 points, mostly on set shots, in his team's only game this year, a 62 to 42 loss Saturday to the Coast Guard Academy.

Teaming with him at the other forward will be J. F. Clark, while Jim Reap and Bill Teachout will share the guard duties. Reap is the only senior among the starters, while Teachout is the shortest man on the squad at 5 feet, 8 inches.

Last season Wesleyan had one of its worst won-and-lost records in years--a dismal three and 14. But Coach Johnny Wood used those games to work with a group of raw sophomores, who have returned this winter with a year's experience under their belts. Wood can now start five lettermen, against the three on Shepard's first team