50 Undergrads to Tour States for Good Students

Crimson Key Members Will Sell College: Admissions Officials Outline Procedure, Criteria

For the second Christmas in a row, members of the Crimson Key's Undergraduate Schools Committee will spend their vacations selling Harvard to likely prospects around the country, Thomas E. Everhart '53, of the Key said last night.

The renewal of the Key's admissions activities indicates that the University considers the first year of the group's activities a success.

This year, a force of about 50 will be working on the project, about 20 percent more than the number which pioneered undergraduate participation in the admissions program last year.

Three admissions officials, Eric Cutler '40, assistant secretary of the Alumni Association, David D. Henry '41, assistant to the Committee on Admissions, and Graham W. Taylor '49, director of Student Employment, briefed the undergraduate screeners at an afternoon session last Tuesday. They emphasized that the term "good prospect" meant more than a good athlete.

Issues Instructions

Meanwhile Donald Kennedy '52, chairman of the Undergraduate Schools Committee, issued two pages of instructions to the men working this vacation, most of whom will follow up contacts made by the Key this summer.

When possible, the instructions indicate, the undergraduates will work through local Harvard Clubs. The screeners are expected to find out a prospect's marks, financial condition, activities, athletic talents, reputation with his classmates, and reputation with his faculty.

Most of the Key's activities will be spread through the South, Midwest, and West where the College most needs popularizing.