Plane Crash Kills Florida Bound 56; Cold Hits Nation

The second largest plane crash in the nation's history, at Elizabeth, New Jersey yesterday gave an ominous beginning to holiday travel all over the eastern sea board.

William Hegener, a Yale student on his way home to Sarasota, Florida, was aboard the ill fated plane.

The Florida-bound flight crashed seven minutes after take-off, killing all 56 persons aboard. In the rest of the country, the weekend storm and cold snap that followed caused 60 other deaths. Highway accidents accounted for most of these.

Police in all six New England states yesterday reported plans to crack down on traffic regulations, especially on the highways, during the holiday season.

Weathermen expect the cold spell to last most of the week with possible snowfalls by next weekend. Airlines said they will still schedule flights, but warned they couldn't promise anything Railroad officials expect to be swamped with reservations from students this week. Many are making tentative plans to tack more cars on existing runs, and possibly schedule additional ones.

The temperature reached zero in Boston last night, and should hover around ten degrees most of this morning.