Council Reopens Debate On Organization Rules

College Order Compels Group To Submit Membership List Council Will Ask for Repeal

The Student Council will reopen the controversial question of Rules for Undergraduate Organizations tonight at its weekly meeting. It will review its objection, formally registered last spring, to an Administration ruling requiring all student organizations to submit a membership list.

The Administration's move seemed at the time to be largely directed towards the Young Progressives, who complied with the ruling, and the John Reed Club, which did not comply. Following adoption of the ruling by the Dean's Office, the John Reed Club silently disappeared from the campus as an official student organization.

Associate Dean Watson commented several weeks ago that he knew nothing of the Club's disappearance or possible underground activities.

Besides the membership question, the Council will debate other aspects of the Rules, among them regulations for Radcliffe girls joining College organizations.

Council President Richard M. Sandler '52 stated that the discussion had been held over since last spring, so that the Rules' effect on undergraduate organizations could be more thoroughly analyzed

House Deans Plan

Robert H. Cole '52, David L. Start '53 and Paul D. Sheets '54 will present a revised version of their report on House Deans, and the extension of Dean's Office operations into the House systems.

Cole proposed last Monday that the Housemasters and Senior Tutors split the duties that would fall to House Deans under Dean Bender's plan. Cole also proposed making Housemakers members of the Administrative Board.

Colo's group added several suggestions for procuring better tutors, such as requiring them to eat their meals "one tutor to a table." Colo feels his plan will be more effective in decentralizing the Dean's Office and emphasizing the House system than any of the present administration reports.

Colo's plan, which be predicts will be passed by the Council, includes a "much more pronounced and active role in the College" for the Housemasters.

A possible alternative to Cole's plan in the report issued last spring by a subcommittee to the Committee on Houses headed by Donald M. Ferry '12, Master of Winthrop House. Ferry's plan is in "general agreement" with the proposals outlined in the earlier Bender report, but gives the idea of a House Dean system fuller consideration. The House Dean, under Ferry's plan, would be responsible to the Dean's Office in all matters of discipline, and to the Housemaster in everything else