Grid Attendance Up 21% for '51; TV Effect Small

Attendance at this year's home football games rose considerably above last year's average, a survey showed yesterday. A total of 92,000 people attended this year's five home games--an average of 18,400 per game. In the 1950 season total attendance for seven Stadium games was 103,000, which averaged out to 15,286 people per game.

The Crimson's rise was thus well above the national football average, which showed an attendance increase of only three percent. Harvard's increase amounts to 21 percent on average attendance.

Yale Attendance Drops

Despite the fact that it played seven home games both years. Yale drew fewer people this year than last. Nevertheless, with an average of over 30,000 people per game both years, the Ella continued to reign supreme in one field of athletic endeavor.

Athletic directors and other college officials are known to be disappointed in the results of the NCAA television restriction plan, which was expected to increase attendance at all games this year.

A poll taken at the Stadium in October revealed that TV had little effect on the habits of local football fans.