Tax Practices Speech Opens Ethics Series; SBA Stresses Realities

The Student Bar Association at the Law School will begin formal activities for the year one week from today. Norris Darrell, head of the tax department of the Sullivan and Cromwell law firm in New York will speak to the group on "The Responsibilities of a Lawyer in Tax Practice."

The series of five talks, "The Lawyers' Problems of Conscience," is designed to deal with legal ethics in five fields of law practice.

The S.B.A., formed in the spring of 1919, is a member of the American Law Students Association, which is affiliated with the American Bar Association. Last year, the infant group ran a series of lectures on trial tactics.

Among this year's speakers will be Senator Paul Douglas, who will speak on the ethics of a lawyer in government and politics, Reginald H. Smith '37, who will deal with the lawyer as a public spirited citizen. Daniel J. Lyne '10, who will touch on trial tactics and justice, and Robert F. Bradford '23, former governor of Massachusetts, who will discuss the ethical problems in the prosecution and defenses of criminals.