Over 4,400 Register Today

Kennedy Predicts Speedy Process Will Require Five Minutes Each

Between 4,450 and 4,500 College men are expected to register in Memorial Hall this afternoon in what promises to be the speediest Spring registration in the College's history. Registrar Sargent Kennedy '28 estimates that the whole process will take cach man less than five minutes.

The anticipated total is close to 200 men less than the Fall's 4,670, and is in line with the post-war downward trend. Four thousand seven hundred men registered at this time last year, 5,100 the year before. But the final figure will still be considerably over Provost Buck's goal of 4,300 for 1951.

Most of the reduction will be due to February graduations. Kennedy estimated that only around 15 men bad left College to enlist. Draft boards have been postponing inductions until the end of the school year, so for this reason, Kennedy does not expect any large drop in enrollment due to inductions during the spring. Considerable losses through the draft were feared by University Hall earlier last term.

For the first time, registration will come after initial meetings of classes. Students with last names beginning A through L will register from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.; M through Z check in from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m., and late arrivals from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Last year, the general sectioning meeting immediately followed registration, which was held on Tuesday. Classes then began on Wednesday. This year, in order to save two teaching days, and close the College two days earlier in June, classes will start Monday and Tuesday; those classes taught entirely in sections will not begin until Wednesday and Thursday.