Spring Term Law Courses Tackle Mobilization Crisis

The Law School curricula during the new term takes into account the present world crisis by introducing a course in Mobilization Problems to deal with legal questions arising out of production, price, and wage controls, government procurement, and manpower.

Another new course, Government Contracts, pertinent to the mobilization situation and also open only to third year men, will study the legal framework for agreements between federal agencies and private corporations with emphasis on settling disputes and claims. Professor Robert Braucher gives this seminar, while eight other law professors who worked in government mobilization agencies during World War II are lecturing in Mobilization Problems.

Because of the present emergency, the Law School expects many students to be called into the armed services. The resultant loss of tuition revenue with little curtailment of expenses must be met by increased funds from alumni, according to Assistant Dean Wesley E. Bevins, Jr., director of the Law School Fund.

Although the Korean war may hurt the Law School financially, assistant Dean Louis A. Teepfer, director of student placement, believes it will provide more job openings for young lawyers. Some firms will lose clerks to the armed services and may be expected to lay in a reserve of personnel, he points out.

Increased law business due to government controls and government mobilization agencies, he added, will also augment the need for clerks.