The Classgoer

Every term about this time the CRIMSON essays to compile a list of courses, well- and little-known, which should be of interest to people in any field and at any stage of their College careers. The list makes no pretense at being exhaustive, nor does it give a fair distribution among the Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and Humanities. The latter two fields offer far more courses for dabblers, since they are not arranged in so careful a progression of skill.

Below is a sampling of the University's offerings for Tuesday, Thursday, and (at or not at the pleasure of the instructor) Saturday.

Nine o'clock: English 160 is under new management, but it still offers a good range of modern English and American dramatists. Mr. Chapman, whose play, "Billy Budd," is in the process of opening on Broadway, has taken over for Baker and will hold forth in the Large Lecture Room in Fogg. Early risers of a more classical bent might prefer to drop into Emerson F and hear Professor Demos lecture on Plato in Philosophy 102. Demos' friendly lectures are just the thing for a cold morning. Others who are seeking a course to audit at this awful hour can hardly do better than Professor Merk's Westward Movement which at last account had reached the banks of the Mississippi. This is a full course, hence unenterable now, but Merk's lectures are considered a complete education in themselves (Harvard 1).

Ten o'clock: after a leisurely breakfast, you can be stimulated by Thornton Wilder, who is giving the second half of Humanities 2 in Sanders Theatre. Wilder, who is a renowned early breakfaster, should be in fine form by ten. Professor Levin, who used to give Hum. 2b, can be found at this hour in Harvard 4, lecturing on Proust, Joyce, and Mann in Comp. Lit. 162. You'll need a knowledge of either French or German for this one. People more addicted to the Social Sciences might well check in at Mallinckrodt MB-9 for Fainsod's lectures on Soviet Government. Fainsod is a director of the Russian Research Center and an interesting lecturer.

Eleven o'clock: Professor Zechariah Chafee from the Law School is giving Comp. Lit. 181, a new course on copyright laws, in Sever 5. Chafee first hit the College circuit with Soc. Sci. 120 this fall, and ingratiated himself with his dramatic renditions of famous trials. Over in the Fogg Small Room, Professor K. J. Conant lectures on Modern Architecture (with slides) in Fine Arts 173. He also gives you a chance to build your own model later on in the term. McGeorge Bundy, one of the young members of the Government department, lectures on the U.S. in World Affairs at this hour in Emerson 211. Bundy took over the course from Payson Wild last year and gives an interesting, if not inspiring, complement to Fainsod's explanation of Russian policy the hour before. Arthur Darby Nock is probably the outstanding theatrical personality at this hour; his History of Religions 101b (in Harvard 4) takes up Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, and also offers some outstanding guest lecturers.

Twelve o'clock: if you don't have to knock off early for lunch, try Aiken's Philosophy 167--Contemporary Ethics--in Emerson F. Definitely not a course for dilettantes, this one takes up several modern philosophers and requires solid grounding in both Philosophy and Psychology.

Three o'clock: Economics 112b--The Economy of Russia--is the plum for the really late risers. The course was very popular under Leontief, and Gerschenkron, who has it now, is director of the economics part of the Russian Research Center.