Students For UMST in YP Peace Survey

HLU Challenges YP Questions, Asks to Conduct Own Poll; 882 Vote in Dining Halls

Students voted three to one for Universal Military Service in the poll conducted early this week by the Young Progressives. Exactly 882 votes were cast in six dining halls.

Fifty-five percent of the ballots answered "yes" to the question: "The United States should encourage the United Nations to take action to end the war in Korea immediately." But a majority of students turned down all three of Y.P.'s peace proposals.

Last night the Liberal Union and Radcliffe Students for Democratic Action charged that the Y.P.'s had loaded their questions, and announced it would circulate its own poll tomorrow if it got approval from the Dean's Office.

Angry protests on the ballots called the Progressives "impractical" and "fuzzyminded." A faculty member, who asked that his name be withheld, said, "It is not ordinary opinion-polling practice to preface a series of questions with a statement such as 'Desiring Peace, I believe.'"

Proposals and answers were:

1. An immediate cease-fire and withdrawal of all foreign troops from Korea. Yes, 23 percent. No, 77 percent.

2. Recognition of the Peoples Republic of China as the representative government of China in the United Nations and by the United States. Yes, 40 percent. No. 60 percent.

3. Popular election to be held in all of Korea after withdrawal of troops under the supervision of a U.N. Commission which would guarantee inclusion of India and Peoples Republic of China. Yes, 45 percent. No, 55 percent.