Few Posts Open To New Teachers

Opportunities for high school and college teaching positions in the near future will be few, three speakers agreed at a Career Conference at Adams House last night.

Dean Francis Keppel '38 of the Graduate School of Education, who spoke on secondary school openings, said that because of the relatively low birth rate during the mid 1930's, high school enrollments are now low and few teachers are needed. Last year, of 24,000 qualified graduates who applied for high school teaching posts, only 15,000 were accepted.

Population to Increase

He added, however, that present population growths will increase the number of children of school age from 271/2 million to 371/2 million in twelve years. Even now, grammar school teachers are badly needed.

Theodore Morrison '23, Director of English A, said that at present, the relatively sure and conventional way of climbing the college teaching ladder is to start by getting a Ph.D. and then doing research and continuing "professional scholarship." Because of the war situation, college hiring policies are uncertain, and now few new men are being taken.

Aspirants for college administrative positions had better be wary of long hours, small salaries and paper work, John U. Monro '34, Director of the Financial Aid Center.