D.A.'s Attack On Law Group Called 'Cheap'

Viola Retracts Accusation of Illegal Practices Admitting Total Lack of Substantiation

By Joseph P. Lorenz

William Hollingsworth, General Counsel of the Boston Voluntary Defenders, last night branded as "damned cheap talk" on accusation that Law School students had used improper methods in a recent Middle sex Court trial. The charge, made by Assistant District Attorney M. Edward Viola, was that trial were "made up by the gentlemen of Harvard."

When contacted by the CRIMSON last night Viola retracted his accusation, saying "a lot of things are said in the beat of trial..." "It was my feeling at the time," he added. "There was no substantiation to it."

Hollingsworth commented that the students, members of the Law School branch of the Voluntary Defenders Committee, had no motive for forging the notes. They were sent by me, and merely followed instructions. Viola knows his charge is untrue."

Donald L. Wilmer '47, 3G, a spokesman for the Law School group, associated with the case in question, said the concession was "strictly second grade stuff. It could only have been written by the defendant." He added that the charge was "completely baseless and with no foundation in fact."

The Law School chapter of the Voluntary Defenders Committee is composed of ten third year men and ten second year men who supply free aid to poor defendants, Viola said that these students are immature, and "don't know court procedure," but added that be thought the Committee was "a mighty fine thing."

Hollingworth pointed out that Law School students might have been immure 20 years ago, but not today.