Smith Finishes 2nd in Ivy League Basketball Scoring

Captain Ed Smith finished in second place in the Ivy League basketball scoring race behind Pennsylvania's sophomore star. Ernie Beck, it was announced yesterday. Eleven marks were broken and one tied in the league's greatest record-breaking season in 47 years.

Smith's 227 points placed him 17 behind Beck, and was only 29 behind the all-time record of 256 held by Tony Lavelli of Yale Smith's total, nevertheless, made him fourth highest scorer in the history of the Ivy group. John Rockwell '50 led the league last year with 189 points.

Columbia's once beaten five broke two of the records by scoring 850 points in 12 league games for a new high average of 70.8 per contest and by registering 322 field goals. Penn set a new single game scoring record with 96 points against Yale, while Dartmouth's 31 field goals in 45 attempts against the Crimson on February 21 established a new accuracy standard.

Penn's Beck was the only player to break any individual records. He scored 98 field goals during the season to surpass the previous mark of 79 held by Columbia's Walt Budko.