Hoya Authorities Suspend Football

Former assistant football coach Bob Margarita, who left Harvard two years ago to take over the head coaching job at Georgetown, expressed complete surprise over Georgetown University's decision to drop intercollegiate football.

"The whole thing was a shock to me," he said when contacted by the CRIMSON last night. "I was going ahead with plans as usual when the news came."

Uncertain About Future

When asked about the future, Margarita expressed complete uncertainty. He acknowledged interest in several coaching positions but emphasized that he still hadn't had time to get settled. Margarita recently turned down an offer for the head coaching job at his alma mater, Brown University, to remain at Georgetown.

Georgetown, one of the oldest names in football, is the 16th college to drop the sport since the close of the 1950 season. School authorities blamed "the uncertainty of the times" and the financial drain on limited athletic resources as the reasons for dropping the sport.

Last season Georgetown played Penn State, Tulsa, B.C., Maryland, Villanova, Fordham, Holy Cross, and George Washington, beating both New England teams.