Lowell Tops '54 House Poll

Winthrop, Eliot Next; Bunnies Tie Adams For Cellar Position

By David C. D. rogers

Twenty seven percent of the Freshman Class want to go to Lowell House next fall, a CRIMSON poll revealed last night. In displacing Eliot, last year's most popular choice, Lowell regained the position it held in 1949.

In spite of its new-found spirit, Leverett was in last place for the third year in a row. The Hutch finished in a tie with Adams, when only 26 out of 407 freshmen polled (6.4 percent) said they wanted to live there. Percentagewise, the Bunnies gained; last year they received only 2.4 percent of the first choices.

Winthrop gained popularity to rise from third to second place with 86 votes, or 21.1 percent. In 1949 the Puritans were rated sixth. Eliot dropped from first place in 1950 to third with 56 votes, or 18.8 percent. Twenty-three percent of the Class of 1953 wanted to be Elephants.

Kirkland maintained fourth place with 41 votes (10 percent. Forty boys picked Dunster, or 9.8 percent. This is slightly better than 1950's 8.1 percent, but a far cry from the previous year's 18.2 percent when the Funsters ranked second.

Freshmen seemed unconcerned about the prospect of being drafted before next fall; only 46 boys (11,3 percent) thought they would be drafted this summer. Almost seven percent of the class are uncertain as to their draft status. Most gave "too young" or a R.O.T.C. course as their reason for expecting to avoid the draft.

Quiet rooms, the library and record collection, and "its beauty and quaintness" were Lowell's major drawing cards. Those who wanted to be Puritans explained they had friends there. One freshman summed up Winthrop's lure, "Position, Prestige, and Power."

"I want to be a success on the campus" was the general attitude towards Eliot. Besides the men there, the library and location influenced many. Seclusion and House spirit drew men to Dunster, while chance of acceptance influenced future Deacons. Party lovers chose Leverett, while gourmets wanted to be in Adams.

The same order prevailed for second choices as for first. Lowell and Winthrop tied with 81 votes, or 19.9 percent. The Tally: 1951  1950 Lowell  27.3%  16.1% (2) Winthrop  21.1%  15.1% (3) Eliot  13.8%  23.4% (1) Kirkland  10%  14.5% (4) Dunster  9.8%  8.1% (6) Adams  5.4%  12.1% (5) Leverett  6.4%  2.4% (7) No Answer-5.2% Total number polled-407