Radcliffe Council Considers Change In By-Laws Today

Recent dissatisfaction of several 'Cliffe council members with two election rules may lead to an amendment of the constitution's by-law during an open Council meeting at 4 p.m. today in Longfellow Hall.

The proposed changes concern academic qualifications for students seeking all offices: council, class committee, house and club.

Some council members have claimed that two of the present by-laws are ambiguous. One of these rules permits students in the Group V or above to run for office, but does not state that anyone below Group V is excluded from this privilege.

Council Power Protested

The second permits the Council to make exceptions to this academic eligibility standard; the rule, they assert empowers the Council to prevent girls in or above Group V from running for office. A slight change in wording would eliminate this ambiguity, these members state.

Some council members feel that merely clarifying the academic qualifications and the "exception" power is not sufficient. ity standard; the rule, they assert, council's authority to make exceptions to the eligibility rules. Others feel that the final say on whether or not individual girls in Group VI or below may run should rest with the Dean's Office.