University Ups Food Rates From $13 to $14 Per Week

Cost of Food Causes Rise as University Considers Cafeteria

Food rates in the University will go up, beginning Sunday, vice-President Reynolds announced yesterday.

The weekly charge will go from $13 to $14, and transients paying with coupons will be charged five cents more than before for both lunch and dinner. Reynolds blamed raising food prices for the increased board rates.

Since the hike puts the price of dinner at one dollar, students will have to pay an additional five cents to cover the Massachusetts old age tax on meals of that price. There was some debate as to whether lunch or dinner should be subject to the increase.

The Administration is still thinking about installing cafeteria-style service in which men would be charged for individual dishes, but the plan is unpopular.

Last fall the University raised board rates from $12.25 to 313 a week, an increase of 6.3 percent. At that time, food prices had risen at least nine percent over pre-Korean levels.

Costs Rise

Food costs continued to rise during the winter, but the price freeze prevented the University from raising its rates. A recent price ceiling rule--regulation number 11--permitted the University to make the 7.7 percent boost.

This is the third increase is the last four years. At the beginning of the 1948-49 academic year board was raised from $11.50 to $12.25, where it remained until this fall.