Jamaica's Opening Enlivens Week in New York

Cosmopolitan New York always attracts the largest stagle bloc of vacation are and invariably presents the most wanted selections of entertainment in the country. Next week is no exception.

Sports

Jamaica opens Monday with the Paumonock Handicap as the inaugural feature. First post time in 1:15 p.m. daily.

Theatre

Green Features whipped through Boston a while hack, and now the Maro Connelly revival is drawing them to the Broadway Theatre, 53rd Street west of Broadway. The Hall Johnson chair helps out in the striking dramatization of the Roark Bradford approach to God.

Louis Jouvet holds the ANTA stage on 52nd Street until Tuesday with Moliere's classic, School for Wives. The talented troupe of the Theatre de l'Athenee performs in its native French.

Lecturer Robert Chapman's Billy Budd keeps getting last minute extensions of its life at the Biltmore on 47th. Dennis King stars in the Herman Melville tale. Tennessee Williams is trying to maintain his lofty reputation with The Rose Tattoo at the Martin Beck on 45th; some like it very much, but all agree it is not his beat.

Clifford Odets has finally regained his prewar success. The Country Girl with Paul Kelley and Uta Hagen is rolling along at the Lyocum, 45th Street, Sidney Kingsley has adapted Arthur Koestlear's powerful Darkness at Noon to the Royale stage, on 45th Street. Claude Raise portrays the Communist pioneer who faces the ultimate extension of his own logic.

Rex Harrison and Lilli Palmer are perpetuating a happy marriage at the Barrymore Theatre on 47th, where they grace John van Druken's' Hall, Book, and Candle. Robert E. Sherwood revised Philip Barry's Second Thresheld, with Olive Brook and Margaret, Phillips at the Morosco, 45th.

Lillian Helman, another powerful voice out of the recent past, has a now drama at the Coronet at 49th Street. The Autumn Garden stars Frederic March, Florence Eldridge, Jane Wyatt, and Kent Smith. Movie star Olivia de Havilland is leading a company of Romeo and Juliet at the Broadhurst, on 44th.

Twentieth Century, still another revival, heads the list of comedies. Jose Ferrer and Gloria Swanson perform remarkably, an the script is a classic. Edward Everett Horton is the whole show is springtime for Henry, at the Golden until Monday, then down a door on West 45th to the Booth. Celeste Holm and others appear in Affaire of State at the Music Box on 45th.

F. Hugh Herbert's The Moon is Blue graces the Henry Miller on 43rd with the presence of Barbara Bel Goddes, Barry Nelson, and Donald Cook, while Welcott Gibbs' Fire Island comedy, Season in the Sun, continues at the Cort on 48th. Eddie Dowling and Joan McCracken close after the weekend at the Booth in Angel in the Pawnshop.

Rogers and Hammerstein have brought The King and I down from Boston to the St. James, on 44th, where their Oklahoma! ran so long, but the rest of the musical scene seems dominated by old-timers.

Cole Porter's Out of This World features Charlotte Greenwood and Porter's music at the Century, up on 59th. The critics gave this munch-touted show a going-over.

Most successful of the musicals right now is Guys and Dolis, the Damon Runyon tale starring Vivian Blaine and Sam Levene, at the 48th Street Theatre.

The stay-arounds are South Pacific, with Mary Martin and Ray Middleton at the Majestic on 44th; Cole Porter's Kiss Me Kate, with Anno Jeffreys at the Shubert on 44th; Carol Channing in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, the Anita Loos satire at the Ziogfeld at 54th and Sixth Avenue; and Ethel Merman in Call Me Madam with Irving Berlin's music at the Imperial on 45th.

Cinema

French offerings lead the list once more. Louis Jouvet, the best actor in movies anywhere, stars in Lady Paname, which opened last week at the 55th Street Playhouse, near Seventh Avenue. God Needs Men is at the Paris, 58th and Fifth, with Pierre Fresnay in the lead role. Both Jouvot and Fresnay are masters in French with gentle cynicism.

The Treasure opened Wednesday at the Irving Place to give most New Yorkers their first crack at a Polish film. Adolph Dymsza stars in the satire, which luckily has English subtitles.

Anglo, the "story of a mulatto boy in a white man's world," has scored an immediate success in its American premiere at the Trans-Lux on Madison at 60th.

The Italian drama, Bitter Rice, has Sylvana Mangano going through her seventh month of Po Valley histrionics at the World, 49 and Seventh.

Somerset Maugham's Trio closes up shop Monday at the Sutton, 57th and Second, after a long, profitable run. Odette, a new British adventure story at the lush Park' Avenue Theatre at 59th Street, concerns itself with the true-to-life spy work of a female relative of Winston Churchill. Anna Neagle and Trevor Howard head the cast. The Golden Salamander is at the Little Carnegie, next to the big on West 57th, with Anouk as an extra feature. Believe it or not, Red Shoes is still playing, now wedded to intermezzo with Leslie Howard and Ingrid Bergman at the Little Cine Met, 39th and Sixth.

Up Front tops off the home front. Bill Mauldin's war cartoons are animated with David Wayne and Tom Ewell as Joe and Willie, at Loew's State, Broadway and 45th; and show is reputed to be almost as funny as the original drawings. Jose Ferrer moves lock, stock, and nose from the Bijou next door to the Golden on Wednesday in Cyrano de Bargerac; all seats are reserved.

Tales of Hoffman, a new film with dancers Moirs Shearer and Leonide Massine, moves into the Bijou Wednesday.

14 Hours is a tense melodrama at the Astor, Times Square, about a man on the edge of a tall building wondering when to jump. The Capitol, Broadway and 51st presents a new Rudyard Kipling all-star epic, Soldiers Three, with Stewart Granger, Walter Pidgeon, David Niven, and Robert Newton. Teresa gets its world premiere Thursday at the 52nd Street and Madison. Tans-Lux replacing, the British thriller, Seven Days to Noon.

Meanwhile, the Radio City Music Hall's Eastor show is accompanied by a Fred Astaire revue entitle Royal Wedding, with Sarah Churchill and Keenan Wynn. The Roxy, 50th and Seventh, proclaims Bird of Paradise its greatest Easter show; the South Sea island idyll involves Louis Jourdan, Debra Paget, and Jeff Chandler. The Paramount offers Bob Hope in Damon Runyon's The Lemon Drop Kid, with Billy Eckstine on stage. Tyrone Power and Susan Hayward supply standard Western drama in Rawhide at the Rivoll, another Times Square house.

Special attractions are The Lovers of Verona at Cinema 48, between Sixth and Seventh, and The Marx Brothers in Monkey Business and Horsefeathers, at the Fifth Avenue Playhouse, near 12th Street. The hilarious Born Yesterday with Judy Holiday is at the Victoria.

The Informer, directed by John Ford in 1935 and still the best American-produced movie, is at the Beverly on Third Avenue at 50th until Wednesday at least.

Jimmy Stewart's cinema version of Harvey runs at the Gramercy, 23rd and Lexington, Sunday through Wednesday and at the Plaza on East 58th starting Monday.

Jazz

Wild Bill Davison holds the fort at Eddie Condon's 3rd Street hideaway, with Edmond Hall and Gene Schroeder in the band and Ralph Sutton working the intermissions. Buck Clayton, Joe Bushkis, and Art Tatum are at New York's new jazz spot. The Embers, 161 East 54th. Pea Wee Erwin is at Nick's, at 10th and Seventh, and Conrad Janis is at, Ryan's the last holdout of the once famous 52nd Street.

Other Attractions

The Circus opens Wednesday night in the Madison Square Garden, with two shows daily. The circus modernized last year and lost much of its old-time flavor.

The Metropolitan Opera is closing its season with La Boheme tonight, Fledermaus and La Traviata tomorrow afternoon and evening, Fledermaus again Thursday night, La Boheme Friday, and Barbiere di Siviglia and Fledermaus next Saturday.

The New York City Opera Company has scheduled Don Giovanni for tonight, Meistersinger and La Traviata for tomorrow, and Madame Butterfly and Love for Three Oranges for Sunday.