M.D's Must Like People, Not Gain, Doctor Declares

"A deep interest in human beings and their problems is the most important requirement for entering medicine," Dr. Oliver Cope '23, associate professor of surgery in the Medical School, said at the Career Conference on Medicine in the Winthrop Junior Common room last night.

Two other requisites for the potential doctor, Cope declared, are a lack of prejudice or preconceived notions and a scientific vocabulary.

Dr. Reginald Fitz '06, associate dean of the Harvard Medical School, warned the students not to go into medicine expecting to make money. Fitz emphasized that a doctor must have character, honesty, integrity, and a high sense of idealism.

Medical curriculum, admission policies, and the practice of medicine constituted the basis of the talk delivered by Dr. James M. Faulkner '20, Dean of the Boston University School of Medicine. The first two years of study must be devoted to the study of the basic sciences: anatomy, biochemistry, physiology, bacteriology, and pathology. The last two years are spent largely in hospitals, examining patients and getting their histories.

Marks are not of paramount importance, Faulkner asserted.