Claverly Blaze Blamed on Cigarette

Insurance Covers No Personal Property; 10-20 Men Will Move

From 10 to 20 Claverly Hall residents, whose rooms were destroyed by Saturday night's fire will be assigned to Leverett House or to other rooms in Claverly, Cecil B. Roberts, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds, said yesterday.

Under room contracts, the University is not responsible for damages incurred by fire. Unless the students affected carry their own personal insurance, Roberts stated, they cannot receive any reimbursement.

Building is Covered

Claverly Hall itself is fully insured by a University fire insurance fund established last year. Before this fund was set up, the University insured each building with an individual insurance company. Now, every building is covered by the full, self-insurance policy.

Following the Saturday night blaze, police would not permit the 75 students in the Hall to re-enter the building in order to prevent looting and avoid injuries. Many found space with friends in other Houses; some, however, had to sleep in hotels.

Dean Watson's office yesterday directed police to allow students to return to undamaged rooms. But the rooms on the the third, fourth, and fifth floors in the front of the building were without lights and too badly damaged by flames to allow occupancy yesterday. Students in those rooms were reassigned.