Swimmers Win Eighth, Top Dartmouth, 44-31

Two Records Fall as Team Captures Second In Eastern League; Yardlings Win, 44-31

By Andrew E. Norman

Dartmouth's powerful swimming team, outclassed and outmaneuvred by Hal Ulen's Crimson varsity, suffered a 44 to 31 defeat Saturday night in the Blockhouse. It was the eighth victim in Harvard's first perfect season since the war.

Harvard's superbly coached squad broke two varsity records as it tied for first place in the Eastern League; this Saturday's loss to Yale will drop the Crimson to second.

Earlier, the freshmen team vanquished the Dartmouth yearlings by the same score, taking the final freestyle relay by an unexpectedly large margin.

John Steinhart, Ken Emerson, Dave Bradberg, and Captain Bob Berke were the heroes of the varsity meet. The first three swam the 300-yard medley relay in 2:66.0, breaking a 14-year-old Harvard record by 1.4 seconds. Each swam faultlessly but the key performance was Emerson's in the breaststroke.

Ulen's Gamble Pays

Ulen gambled desperately by naming Bredberg as the anchor man against Dartmouth's strong relay trio. He had to eliminate the sophomore from the 50-yard freestyle, in which he is undefeated.

The gamble paid off in the most exciting race of the year, as sophomores John McNamara and Ronnie Huebsch, sprinted some side by side in the 50, a foot behind Indian captain Jock McIntyre and three inches ahead of Dartmouth's Blaine Boyden. Harvard's four points in this event, coming after Berke's expected win in the 220-yard freestyle, put the meet very nearly in the bag.

Giving Dartmouth the 400-yard relay, Ulen could now expect a 38 to 37 victory. Some unexpected things happened, however. Steinhart broke his January 13 College and pool record, and teammate Hugh Hartwell captured second in the backstroke; Emerson swam his best race of the year by far to finish a close second in the breaststroke; and Dick Fouquet fought his way into third place in the quarter-mile.

Captain John Millard carried the freshmen to victory as he won the 220 and swam anchor man in the winning 400-yard freestyle relay squad.

Charlie Egan unofficially broke the freshman 200-yard breastroke record, but Dartmouth's Dick Englehardt won the event and creased the mark.

The summary:

300-yard medley relay--won by Harvard (Steinhart, Emerson, Hedberg). Time--2:56.0, new Harvard record.

220-yard freestyle--won by Berke; 2, Smith (D); 3, Duke (D). Time--2:16.3.

50-yard freestyle--won by McIntyre (D); 2, McNamara; 3, Huebsch. Time--23.8.

Dive--won by Dillingham; 2, Manheim; 3, Rownd (D). Points--119.6.

100-yard freestyle--won by Hedberg; 2, McIntyre (D); 3, McAndrew (D). Time--52.2.

200-yard backstroke--Won by Steinhart; 2, Hartwell; 3, Bersch. Time--2:15.5, new Harvard and pool record.

200-yard breaststroke--won by Bruch (D); 2, Emerson; 3, Palitz (D). Time--2:28.4.

440-yard freestyle--won by Berke; 2, Spurgin (D); 3, Fouguet. Time--5:01.2.

400-yard relay--won by Dartmouth (McIntyre, Kay, Boyden, McAndrew). Time--3:32.5.