Arts and Sciences Faculty Approves 2 Major Bender Group Suggestions

New Tutorial System, Revision of Powers Of Deans Proposed

By Rudolph Kass

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences yesterday voted to "look with favor" upon the two major provisions of the Bender Committee's Report on Advising, and set in motion machinery to review the proposals and make final recommendations to the faculty.

The two provisions which received favor were:

1. Initiating some combination of individual and group tutorial for all concentrators in the five large fields.

2. De-centralizing the Dean's Office by transferring some of its functions to the Houses.

One member from each of the five big departments, Economics, English, Government, History, and Social Relations, will serve as a sub-committee of the Committee on Educational Policy to work out the details for a revised tutorial system.

To work out details of the decentralization plan, the Committee on Houses will serve as another sub-committee to the C.E.P.

The work of both of these sub-committees will filter through the C.E.P. before it goes up to the Faculty as a whole again.

Debate on the two issues, especially the revision of tutorial, lasted so long that two other items relating to advising were not acted on at all.

Freshman Advising Needs No Change

The first of these items recommended that a committee be set up to find out what steps can be taken to influence more concentration in fields other than the big five. The other asked the Faculty to state whether or not it agreed with the Bender Report's opinion that the system of freshman advising needs no major change.

Dean Bender's committee recommended last fall that all concentrators be eligible for group tutorial in order that non-honors men might get some personal instruction. Under the present tutorial system, few non-honors men get tutorial in four out of the five big departments. The Government department gives tutorial to nearly everybody who proves he wants it. Individual tutorial would be limited to seniors at the very top of their class under the Bender Report.