9 Cantab Crewmen Check In for Big Charles Chase

Nine happy oarsmen, a coxswain, and a stockbroker checked into Cambridge yesterday afternoon. All represented Cambridge University, England, and they had beaten Yale by four lengths yesterday (see page 3)

The stockbroker was Harold Rickett, the English Cantabs' amateur coach, who promptly got his men settled in Kirkland, Eliot, and Lowell. Later, Rickett decided his men would be less likely to have their sleep interrupted if they were not so spread out and everybody was shifted to Kirkland.

In order from how to stroke, the oarsmen are: Harry Almond, 22, David Macklin, 22, James Crowden, 23, Roger Sharpley, 21 John Worlidge, 23, Brian Lloyd, 24 (captain), William Windham, 25, and David Jennens, 21. Jack King is a spare. John Hinde is the cox.

The average weight of the Cambridge crew is 176 pounds as against 183 for the Crimson. Not only are the visitors lighter, they're also almost three inches shorter.

Yesterday's results of the Cambridge-Yale race indicate that size isn't necessarily a factor in rowing.

Cambridge's Almond has caused considerable stir since his arrival because he weighs only 144 pounds.