'54 Lacrossemen Bow to Deerfield

A penalty-hampered freshman lacrosse team lost its second game of the season, 12 to 6, to the Deerfield Academy varsity on the Business School field Wednesday.

Ed Curtis with three goals and Monk Aiello with two tallies and an assist were high scorers for the losers.

The first period was nip and tuck; the Green and White went ahead in the opening minutes, but Curtis soloed and tied the game. Again Deerfield scored, but Aiello got that one back by flipping in a loose ball. The visitor's counted twice more, however, and the quarter ended 4 to 2.

Curtis scored twice and Aiello once in the second stanza, and Deerfield shot four past goalie Larry Ratner, the half ending with the visitors ahead 8 to 5. The score remained the same in the third period, but in the final frame Deerfield sank four while midfielder Phil Waring scored once for the Yardlings.

The Crimson defense had trouble stopping Deerfield's fast-breaking midfields which made all but two of their 12 goals. Otherwise the Green and White was not so good as had been anticipated, for the Yardlings controlled the ball most of the game.